SBIG Self-Guiding Spectrograph + ST-8E CCD
Gain 2.68 e-/adu
Readnoise 18.6 e- with T_ccd = -10 C
Full-well capacity 16383 adu (unbinned), 32500 adu (2 x 2 binning)
Pixel size 9 micron x 9 micron (unbinned)
Size of Detector 1534 pix x 1020 pix (unbinned)
Pixel scale 0.728"/pix (unbinning)
Low Resolution Mode:
Grating 150 l/mm
Dispersion 4.27 Angstrom/pix = 0.474 Angstrom/micron
Wavelength Coverage 6550 Angstrom
High Resolution Mode:
Grating 600 l/mm
Dispersion 1.067 Angstrom/pix = 0.1186 Angstrom/micron
Wavelength Coverage 1637 Angstrom
- To use the 150 l/mm grating for low resolultion spectra, the black switch on the left side of the spectrograph (when telescope is in home position) should be turned downward. To use the 600 l/mm grating for high resolution spectra, the black switch should be turned upward.
- Click here for an example of the IRAF wavelength solution (features.lst) for the Fe+Ar spectrum in low resolution mode.
- Click here for the IRAF-format Fe + Ar line list (fear.dat) to use for wavelength calibration.
- Click here for the line list (uciobs_fear_lowres.dat) to use for wavelength calibration in low resolution mode. This file contains 55 lines that can be easily found in low resolution mode. These lines should be enough to correctly determine the wavelength solution across the CCD.
- Click here for plots of the arc images, with the lines from uciobs_fear_lowres.dat marked with their wavelength: arc_red.jpg, arc_mid.jpg, arc_blue.jpg, arc_all.jpg. Note that higher pixel values correspond to lower wavelengths, meaning the lines will be reversed before calculating the wavelength solution.
Suggested exposure times for Fe+Ar arc lamp spectra are approximately 60 sec at high dispersion and 10 sec at low dispersion.