Mathematica Notebooks Summary
- Front End
- Kernel - Program Statements
- On-Line Help System
- Double click on Mathematica icon
- Double click on notebook in Network Neighborhood public
- Click on internet notebook in browser, save file, Open
- are indicated by cell bracket in subsection formats
- to select a cell, click on its bracket
- Text - unformatted and can edit
- Input - shift + enter to execute
- can group, cut, copy and paste cells
- ] open cell. Double click to close.
- ]Can be active to alter and evaluate, or inactive.
- '] Set up for activation on initialization.
- Formatted or unformatted to alter.
- box \] closed cell. Double click to open.
- For a new cell, put cursor below or between cells until
it becomes horizontal.
- Can select cell and then alter
- section level
- text font
- Contents Tree
- Also in dialog boxes
- Help -> why the beep?
- Also try out the demos
- Course will cover kernel commands
- Command completion: begin command and ctrl K.
- Evaluate initialization
- Evaluate next input for presentations
- File ->
- Close, or double click left hand box
- Basic Input - for basic functions and Greek symbols
- Click on boxes, then enter expressions in dotted boxes
- or Highlight expression, then click on palette function
- Algebraic Manipulation
- Expand, Factor, Simplify, ...
- Basic Calculations - the especially useful ones are
- Lists and Matrices
Keyboard Input in Traditional Form
- Esc p Esc is Pi, etc.
- Ctrl ^ is superscript mode
- Ctrl - is subscript mode
- Ctrl / is denominator for a fraction
- Ctrl @ is a square root
- Ctrl space is a return from the above to normal
- To display from normal input use // TraditionalForm
Dennis Silverman, firstname.lastname@example.org.