- Incoming students. All incoming students take Physics 99 in their first quarter. As part of this course, you will be part of our Resonance peer mentoring program.
- Graduate school. The department offers mentoring for freshmen and for undergraduates applying for graduate school. The mentors for these programs are advanced undergraduates, graduate students, or postdocs.
- Industry career mentoring. The School of Physical Sciences offers an industry mentorship program for junior and senior undergraduates interested in working in industry after graduation. The mentors for this program are professionals working at local companies.
- Womxn. The UCI Women in Physics club also offers mentoring for undergraduate physics majors of all levels.
- All students: course planning help. The Physical Sciences Student Affairs Office has peer academic advisors available who can help you map out our course plan.
- Incoming students. Each first-year physics major (freshmen and transfers) is assigned a faculty advisor for consultation about courses, "area of focus" in the major, career plans, and other topics. Assignments are announced via email and in Physics 99.
- 2nd, 3rd, 4th year, and transfer students. Wondering who your advisor is? It depends on your concentration! Advisors for continuing students depend on your concentration / specialization. You can see a list of advisors for each area of focus on the department committees page (search "area of focus"). If you're not sure what to choose as your concentration, both the physics & applied physics major have a "general track." You can also
- attend a departmental workshop to discuss the concentrations and your career goals (details sent to current students via email),
- reach out via email to the advisor for any concentration you're considering, or
- contact the advising committee chair.
Make sure to carefully read all emails sent to you from your advisor and the Physics Undergraduate Student Affairs office. These emails contain important information about advising and registering for courses.