General Education Courses in Physics and Astronomy
The Department of Physics and Astronomy offers a variety of General Education courses satisfying the Science and Technology requirement. Many of these courses additionally satisfy the Quantitative, Symbolic, and Computational Reasoning requirement. See the UCI General Catalogue for complete information about GE requirements and course offerings that satistfy these requirements. The Catalogue also contains course descriptions for each of these courses.
Physics courses that satisfy the Science and Technology requirement (requirement II) are listed below. Those marked with an asterisk (*) additionally satisfy the Quantitative Literacy requirement (requirement Va).
- Physics 3A, 3B, 3C: Basic Physics *
- Physics 7C, 7D, 7E: Classical Physics *
- Physics 12: Science Fiction and Science Fact *
- Physics 14: Energy and the Environment *
- Physics 15: Physics of Music
- Physics 17: Physics of Athletics
- Physics 18: How Things Work
- Physics 20A: Introduction to Astronomy *
- Physics 20B: Cosmology *
- Physics 20C: Observational Astronomy *
- Physics 20D: Space Science *
- Physics 20E: Life in the Universe *
- Physics 21: Special Topics in Physics
- Physics H80: The Impact of World War I on Science
- Physics H90: The Idiom and Practice of Science *
In addition to academic year course offerings, several of these courses are offered each year during UCI Summer Session. In WebSOC, or in the Summer Session course catalogue, check the listings for Physics courses during Summer Session 1, Summer Session 2, and 10-Week Summer for complete listings of summer courses.
Questions about enrollment in any of these courses should be directed to the staff of the Physics Student Affairs Office.